The Colorado Symphony has announced its 2018-19 season, which marks Brett Mitchell's second as Music Director. Over the course of the season, Mr. Mitchell will lead the orchestra in ten classical subscription weeks and half a dozen other special projects.
Demonstrating his deep commitment to American music, Mr. Mitchell will conduct works by twenty American composers over the course of the Colorado Symphony's 2018-19 season. After opening the season with a world premiere by the orchestra's principal timpanist, William Hill, Mr. Mitchell will lead works by an additional ten living American composers: John Adams, John Williams, Matthew Jackfert, Randol Alan Bass, Jennifer Higdon, Joseph Schwantner, Mason Bates, Kevin Puts, Missy Mazzoli, and Adam Schoenberg. Mr. Mitchell will also lead nine works by previous generations of American composers: Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland, Bernard Herrmann, Peter Lieberson, David Diamond, Leonard Bernstein, and Charles Ives.
Additional highlights of Mr. Mitchell's second season as Music Director of the Colorado Symphony include:
- Benjamin Britten's War Requiem (Nov. 2-4), in commemoration of the November 11, 1918 Armistice that signaled the end of World War I
- Itzhak Perlman plays the Beethoven Violin Concerto (Jan. 10). Also on the program: Jennifer Higdon's Fanfare Ritmico and Ginastera's Variaciones concertantates.
- Subscription performances of Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2, Beethoven's Symphony No. 7, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Dvořák's Symphony No. 9 ("From the New World"), Brahms's Symphony No. 4, Ravel's orchestration of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, and Orff's Carmina Burana
Mr. Mitchell will collaborate with the following soloists during the Colorado Symphony's 2018-19 season:
- Jeremy Denk plays Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 25 (Sep. 14-16)
- Joyce Yang plays Gershwin's Concerto in F (Sep. 28-30)
- Actor Damon Gupton narrates Copland's Lincoln Portrait and Joseph Schwantner's New Morning for the World (Daybreak of Freedom) (Jan. 18-20)
- Mezzo-soprano Kelly O'Connor sings Peter Lieberson's Neruda Songs (Feb. 14-17)
- Joshua Roman plays Mason Bates's Cello Concerto (Mar. 1-3)
- Augustin Hadelich plays the Barber Violin Concerto (Mar. 29-31)
- Colorado Symphony principal oboist Peter Cooper plays Kevin Puts's Oboe Concerto (Apr. 12-14)
- Conrad Tao plays Ravel's Piano Concerto in G major (May 10-12)
Mr. Mitchell will lead several other special programs throughout the season, including: